Wednesday 20 July 2011

How I met the Green Party

I, (deep breath), I used to be a Labour voter, *applause from support group* primarily because they were not the Conservative Party. Don't give me that look, everyone was heartily sick of the Conservatives back in '97 and it was a huge relief when they were finally given the elbow. Fast Forward to the next election and I was getting concerned that the gap between rich and poor was still increasing but I still voted Labour because they still weren't the Conservatives (yes, I am now laughing at myself).

It was 2003 before I allowed myself to accept what I already knew. I marched with the "Stop The War" coalition which was such a massive statement of public will that no government could ignore it. The government ignored it. In the aftermath of that betrayal I began to understand that we needed good people inside Westminster and not just outside holding the placards. I decided that I had to reject the Labour Party. Well, they started it.

I began to vote Green and it was good, especially in the London Assembly and European Parliament elections where the system tolerated votes cast for the smaller parties. I found myself cheering them on from afar like a favourite sports team.

That's when it happened.

Autumn of 2009. My local Green Party Parliamentary candidate, Shasha Khan, knocked on my door to ask what I knew about plans for an incinerator in Croydon. Of course I hadn't a clue. Nobody had, (all part of the plan, see?) but I was impressed that the Green Party were taking such an active role to raise awareness outside of "election season". Here was someone who was getting off his backside and trying to make a difference in his own area. This was for me. I joined Shasha in his campaigning to stop the incinerator and, later, in the 2010 election campaigns.

Busy times, but just a taste. Since the Elections things have been getting busier. The campaign against the incinerator goes on. Victory against Veolia in Croydon.  Defending independant cinema, care homes, libraries and opposing skyscrapers amongst two-story victorian dwellings...

But that's another story.

No comments:

Post a Comment